• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Combatting the effects of sleep deprivation...

Status
Not open for further replies.

spacefacethebassace

Bluelighter
...without actually getting more sleep.

I'm taking 18 hours this semester and worked out that I'm in class or lab for over 30 hours/wk, then there's homework...on top of my course load I barely have time to eat or sleep. I can get away with little food because the food I do eat is extremely nutritious, but I am fucking falling apart with no sleep (I get 5-6 hours/night).

Like I said, getting more sleep is really not an option, I already neglect certain duties just to get what I can. And I know complaining about getting a whole 5 or 6 hours of sleep per night makes me sound like a whiner, but after 3 or 4 weeks of this shit I'm tied tighter than a hog before a roast.

What are some things you guys and gals do to combat the effects of sleep deprivation? I am going to start working a short nap in to my daily routine, I already take a variety of cognitive-enhancing drugs and supplements, and damn I want some Orexin A nasal spray.

Please no 'UTFSE'.

There's no way to safely replace sleep other than sleeping, but there are some things that help...at least temporarily...

The prescription drug Modafinil helps increase alertness and cognitive function but is not a typical stimulant like amphetamine. Caffeine, amphetamines, and other stimulants help in the short term, but cause a wicked crash and probably aren't worth it in the long term.

Taking short "rest breaks" is helpful. If you can't take a 2-hour nap, there must be some time in your schedule where you can step out, sit down, close your eyes, and just unwind for 5-10 minutes. 15-30 minute power naps can be more rejuvenating than long naps, and avoiding big meals, sedating medications like antihistamines, and other "downers" can really help too.

Other than that, you're going to have to schedule in more time for quality sleep. Sleep deprivation is extremely hard on the body/immune system, not to mention the effect it has on potentially-deadly activities like driving, handling lab chemicals (in your case), and even things that aren't normally dangerous. I know it seems like school is the most important thing right now, but the reality is that you may have to surrender and either accept lower grades or drop some hours if you're going to make it through. If your evenings, weekends, and weekdays/nights are completely consumed with homework, you may have overscheduled yourself.

Is there one day a week, at least, you can add a couple more hours of sleep in there? Maybe that would help you catch up a little. Like on Sundays or something.

^Yeah, Sunday's are where it's at, I just haven't had sleep-in opportunities on Sunday for 2 or 3 weeks now. This Sunday though...man I can't wait :)

To Lady Codone, I hear where you're coming from, fact is, I don't expect to be less busy for an appreciable length of time for the next 6-8 years (hoping post-doc isn't as bad or worse). I did bite the bullet and nap for an hour today because I decided an hour of sleep would be boost my test grade tonight more than an (extra) hour of study. Ex post facto, I think it worked.

And a small supply of modafinil is going to be worked into my monthly budget from now on...almost crashed the car today...twice!

I still can't wait for that Orexin A/hypocretin to hit the market though, assuming it makes it to and through clinical trials.

You can't. Simple as that. Your body (and especially your mind) needs sleep, and by depriving yourself of it you're making a false economy.

However, if your schedule is flexible enough, you can try some of the more hardcore polyphasic sleep cycles to squeeze an extra couple of hours into the day. The thing with that though, is that if you don't sleep at exactly the right time, you feel like a zombie for days. Also, it usually takes a few weeks to properly adjust to it, during which time you will feel like absolute death.

My brother is in his final year of engineering, and between school and studying/projects/homework he might get an average of 5 hours of sleep a night. He sleeps for 14 hours at a stretch on the weekends (unless it's exam time), and by the end of the semester he looks like hell, and is miserable to be around. But he's pulling a 4.0 for the 4th year in a row, so I guess that it's worth it in the long run.

I couldn't do it though. Even shifting my sleep schedule messes me up these days. But then again, I've always been a light sleeper. YMMV I guess.

Meditation is supposed to be good - re-charging your mind by producing the same brainwaves you have while you sleep- but I think you have to be a quite advanced meditator to be able to get into Theta (or is it Delta?) while still fully conscious. You could always go for binaural beats, which 'force' your mind into Theta... This is what I use, but I get so sleepy from the cd that I usually end up sleeping straight afterwards (which I don't mind, because the meditation cd makes my dreams are so colourful it's almost like passing my time watching a movie)! Although a lot of other people who start using binaural beats say that they need a lot less sleep. It's worth a try, there's loads of downloadable stuff on the internet.

Some kind of relaxing exercise like yoga or tai chi sould be good to rejuvenate you too.

I'm the same way, getting on average 4-5 hours sleep a night. I know what you mean how after a while it starts getting to you, even tho its not so bad at first. I'm lucky to have one day where I can get a good 10-12 hours of sleep in. I'd say do that, just reserve that sunday you have for sleep.

The polyphasic sleep cycles sound interesting tho.

meditate and yoga

or slow down your life and take care of your mind/body. what good is anything else if you are sick?

OP: You are going to have to make time in your schedule for more sleep. If you do not, Your health and grades will take a serious hit. No drug will make up for sleep, that will only complicate matters further.

^Thanks for the replies. I would like more ideas that are in line with the limitation that more sleep is NOT an option, though.

However, I made the decision to allow sleep to cut into social time, i.e. friday night. I slept from roughly 7 pm friday night 'til 8 am Saturday morning...'twas magnificent!

More than anything, I wonder about effective drug therapies to combat the effects of sleep deprivation, I'm well aware of amphetamines, modafinil/adrafinil, caffeine, and nicotine...can you guys think of anything else?

Additionally, drugs/supplements that are purported to increase sleep quality as opposed to decrease sleep quantity.

Thanks again.

Well, if you're really against sleeping, just take meth.

More than anything, I wonder about effective drug therapies to combat the effects of sleep deprivation, I'm well aware of amphetamines, modafinil/adrafinil, caffeine, and nicotine...can you guys think of anything else?

Pretty much all of the uppers then. Ginseng and Ginko Biloba are a popular mix.

For sleep quality, melatonin is a precursor to a serotonin hormone or something. I dunno, it knocks me out and gives me crazy dreams, which are a sign of heavy REM sleep, which is brain rest sleep.

For some reason this is "out of your schedule", but why can't you take an extra year or two to finish your degrees, and spend the extra time sleeping and seeing your friends?

If you ever have 20mins spare have a 'napachino' - a shot of strong coffee just before taking a nap. The caffeine will kick in after 20 mins to wake you up before you drop into deep sleep. Gives you a good boost for 3 or 4 hours!

For sleep quality, melatonin is a precursor to a serotonin hormone or something. I dunno, it knocks me out and gives me crazy dreams, which are a sign of heavy REM sleep, which is brain rest sleep.

Melatonin is a hormone involved in the circadian rhythm (when you are asleep/awake). Serotonin is a precursor to melatonin. Taking melatonin without getting much sleep might just make you more tired when you wake up, but I guess it is worth a try. It is quite cheap. Get smaller doses; .5mg is effective for me.

if you smoke marijuana before bed you can stop this. Your sleep will temporarily be shitty but then will return after a week or so to better than it was before (marijuana fucks with REM cycles).

melatonin without the possibility for a normal amount of sleep is a recipe for grogginess.

Meditation is supposed to be good - re-charging your mind by producing the same brainwaves you have while you sleep- but I think you have to be a quite advanced meditator to be able to get into Theta (or is it Delta?) while still fully conscious. You could always go for binaural beats, which 'force' your mind into Theta... This is what I use, but I get so sleepy from the cd that I usually end up sleeping straight afterwards (which I don't mind, because the meditation cd makes my dreams are so colourful it's almost like passing my time watching a movie)! Although a lot of other people who start using binaural beats say that they need a lot less sleep. It's worth a try, there's loads of downloadable stuff on the internet.

I used to have a self hypnosis program on my old computer and half an hour on that felt like id had an extra 4 hours sleep that day, it was great. Im pretty sure there was a binaural beat thing happening at the same time, although the program called it a brainwave synchroniser.

If you really want to sleep without sleeping then get something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.